Get Involved

Public Housing Community Service Requirements

Federal regulations require that to be eligible for continued occupancy, each adult family member must either (1) contribute eight hours per month of community service (not including political activities) within the community in which the public housing development is located, or (2) participate in an economic self-sufficiency program unless they are exempt from this requirement.


  • Family members who are 62 or older
  • Family members who are blind or disabled as defined under 216(I) or 1614 of the Social Security Act, and who certifies that because of this disability she or he is unable to comply with the service provisions.
  • Family members who are the primary care giver for someone who is blind or disabled.
  • Family members engaged in work activity.
  • Family members who are exempt from work activity under part A title IV of the Social Security Act or under any other State welfare program, including the welfare-to-work program.
  • Family members receiving assistance under a State program funded under part A title IV of the Social Security Act or under any other State welfare program, including welfare-to-work and who are in compliance with that program.

Volunteer Opportunities:

Community service includes performing work or duties in the public benefit that serve to improve the quality of life and/or enhance resident self-sufficiency, and/or increase the self-responsibility of the resident within the community.

An economic self sufficiency program is one that is designed to encourage, assist, train or facilitate the economic independence of participants and their families or to provide work for participants. These programs may include programs for job training, work placement, basic skills training, education, English proficiency, work fare, financial or household management, apprenticeship, and any program necessary to ready a participant to work (such as substance abuse or mental health treatment).

Learn More

Please click on the sections below for additional information on how you can get involved with Cheyenne Housing Authority: