How to Apply for Housing Programs

To apply for the Cheyenne Housing Authority programs you may download the application, the assistance guide and the current income limits from our Documents and Forms page, fill out the application completely and return to one of the Cheyenne Housing Authority Offices or return to your local intake agent.

All application are processed on a first come, first served basis. You will be notified by mail once your application has been processed. After you have received that initial letter, you may call our office at 307-633-8339 or 307-633-8333 on the 13th, 14th, and 15th to inquire where you are on the wait list.

All applicants will be placed on the wait list according to the date the completed application was received in the CHA office or your local intake office.

All households defined as Elderly, Handicapped or Disabled will be admitted before individuals or families.

The wait list is divided between applicants with a preference and those without a preference.

All applicants will be housed on a first come first served basis, taking into account any applicable preferences.

Preferences (Gives applicant 100 points on the Wait List)

Documentation MUST be provided at the time of the application for preference to be considered.

  • Elderly (62 or older), disabled or handicapped for Section 8.
  • Elderly (50 or older), disabled or handicapped for Public Housing.
  • (For Public Housing applicants only) Applicants with an adult family member enrolled in an employment training program currently working 20 hours a week, or attending school on a full-time basis. This preference is also extended equally to all elderly, handicapped and disabled families.
  • Homelessness - referred to our agency by a case manager or appropriate agency.
  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) - victims of Domestic Abuse
  • Residency - serves those who live and work in our service areas.
  • Involuntary Displacement - A household who has been displaced by governmental action, or a person whose dwelling has been extensively damaged or destroyed as a result of a declared disaster or otherwise formally recognized pursuant to Federal disaster relief laws.

Difference between Section 8 and Public Housing

Section 8 is tenant based subsidy for all Cheyenne Housing Authority jurisdictions, meaning you rent from a private landlord.

Public Housing are units owned by the Cheyenne Housing Authority and we are the landlord in the City of Cheyenne and the City of Laramie.

Learn More

Please click on the sections below for more information about how to apply for CHA Housing Programs: